Sunday, March 25, 2018

Facebook Analytics: Should Users Be Allowed to Sue Facebook for Cambridge Analytica Breach?





Facebook Analytics: Should Users Be Allowed to Sue Facebook for Cambridge Analytica Breach?



March 23, 2018
R. Sosby



Before I start, I want to make sure that I am clear on my stance when it comes to the topic of Facebook. Certainly, there are those who use Facebook to connect with friends and occasionally visit the site to chat or catch up, perhaps even view some family photos and keep in touch without having to wonder about interrupting schedules, and in some cases, just let those who care know you are still alive. I suppose there is little harm in using Facebook in this manner, though being old school, I would rather use some 1980’s sentiment and “Reach out and touch someone”, (for the younger crowd, that was the slogan for AT&T’s landline service in the pre-cell phone age when we had rocks for pets and Pac Man ruled!).

Let’s talk about the type of Facebook user. For an example, I will pick on my sister because she is my sister, I love her, and it will give us one more topic to argue about which is one of her favorite methods of communication. She uses locator on Facebook so that there is a record of her every move. When she arrives, she makes sure to let her Facebook friends know that she is eating at whatever the given restaurant is or shopping at whatever the given shop is. If she goes bowling, she constantly updates her “friends” on the status of the game including who the players are right down to the type of bowling shoes they are wearing in some cases. And there is not a single moment that she does not capture and post on her Facebook. Her anthology could be written in cell phone images plastered on this social media site.  She writes about her everyday thoughts and is constantly on her phone updating everyone with important headlines from the desk of M. Sosby. The broadcast could easily achieve syndication.

Can you believe that she was upset this week when the announcement came that there was a breach of  50 million Facebook accounts by Cambridge Analytica? Could someone who does not know my sister actually collect data on her without her knowledge? Contact the Federal Marshalls, NCIS, The United Nations, Superman and Bugs Bunny! The nerve of someone she does not know viewing the 24-7 broadcast. We must work quickly to find these people and bring them before the Justice Squad. Simply outrageous!

Here is how the conversation went after she was so dismayed, and it left her speechless; for a moment. I asked her if she really thought that she was the only person in control of her information online or if she had ever heard the term public domain. The response I received from her was trivial. Speaking as if she were the only reason Facebook existed, she exclaimed that the company had no right to give out her information. I thought to myself, how naïve can she really be. Her information was not given out and furthermore, if she hadn’t mapped out her life’s every movement for the past n to the power of x years there would be nothing to collect!

According to the terms of service outlined by Facebook, (updated 2015) “ you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License).”, which I interpret to say , you post it and we decide what to do with it. Of course, there are rules that apply for the use of content and the user has some control through the settings on their account.

Getting “friended” seems to be like a popularity game in that the more friends you have, the more popular you are in theory. Some users accept all friend request regardless of who is sending the request simply to gather a larger number of friends. Could one of those friends be lurking on the sidelines collecting information on your favorite foods, where you go to church, family values, shopping habits, and any other number of things that might be posted as content on the site? I believe there is definitely a flaw in the system if the user is not careful to monitor persons they allow to access their information through the friending system.

Now to get to the breach that is really not a breach but perhaps it is a breach, but we will have to make that determination. According to an article titled Revealed: 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach the controversy started with the invention of a single app. A professor at Cambridge University built the app during his off time, (away from the university) to deliver a personality test via Facebook to users. The article goes on to state that the New York Times reported “hundreds of thousands of users” took the test and did so willingly, in addition they were paid for their contribution to academic progress. The problem is that the app went on to collect the information of all their friends which accumulated into the area of around 50 million. Want to be my friend?

The information was then shared with Cambridge Analytica, a company that according to their website “uses data to change audience behavior”, (cambridgeanalytica.org, 2018). The whole deal had been hush-hush until a whistle blower broke the news last week to the press. There are even allegations that the information was used to help with Brexit and the last United States Presidential election. Sounds like a breach could have happened; or did it?

Mr. Facebook himself, Mark Zuckerberg spoke about the situation on Wednesday. According to Forbes, (2018) “Zuckerberg confirmed that in 2013, a Cambridge University researcher named Aleksandr Kogan created a personality quiz that was installed by about 300,000 people who shared their data and some of their friends' data, giving Kogan access to the data of tens of millions of Facebook users.” The article goes on to state that the executive learned in 2015 of the relationship between Kogan and Cambridge Analytica, including the collection of data that was out of the context with the rules governing Facebook.  Forbes, (2018) also states Zuckerberg “demanded that he and Cambridge Analytica "formally certify" that they had deleted the data, and both parties "provided these certifications…”, which probably explains why in his eyes no data breach occurred; only a breach of trust between a couple of entities.

 To sum it all up, having friends makes you popular. The goal is to be as popular as you can be, so you want to have a lot of friends. Being friends comes with added benefits, or in this case, headaches. Data was harvested from these users probably against their wishes and without their knowledge. Should there be compensation for the deceptive practice? Probably. Do the risks outweigh the rewards? We all shall soon see!



Cambridgeanalytica.org, (2018) Data drives all we do. Retrieved from https://cambridgeanalytica.org/ on March 24, 2018.

Forbes, (2018) Mark Zuckerberg Addresses 'Breach Of Trust' In Facebook User Data Crisis. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/kathleenchaykowski/2018/03/21/mark-zuckerberg-addresses-breach-of-trust-in-facebook-user-data-crisis/#29b6dca63e36  on March 24, 2018.



The Guardian, (2018) Revealed: 50 Million Facebook Profiles Harvested for Cambridge Analytica in Major Data Breach. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/cambridge-analytica-facebook-influence-us-election  on March 23, 2018.



Facebook.com, (2018) Terms of Service. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/terms.php  on March 23, 2018.

10 comments:

  1. I was an early adopter to facebook, being in undergrad in 2005 when it hit my school. I killed off my account around 2010 when I no longer found it useful and thought of it as risky. After this data breach I can fully say that I am happy that I no longer have facebook in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, Adam. I have been considering leaving Facebook, as well. The only benefit of having access to Facebook is to keep in touch with friends and family across the world. However, at this point, it doesn't seem worth the trouble since our personal information is at risk. So, I completely understand your decision to leave Facebook.

      Delete
    2. In above post, name shows as Adam due to blogger profile..should have been Kyle Taylor. I couldn't edit, sorry for filling your comments space but want to erase confusion. Thanks!
      -Kyle Taylor

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -- removed first post due to typos

    Now this is the type of content I like to see on a blog! Well done! I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I use it to check on people I have met throughout my life, but I rarely post. What’s interesting is that this is very real and it did happen. For the longest time, I would quote that “Facebook can go out of business and use all of your images to sell”. I was completely wrong on this – they specifically state that all of your content is copyrighted to you. I guess when you are the most popular social media website, you tend to become a target. After this breach, I went and downloaded all of my data to see what Facebook had on me. Not to my surprise, not a whole lot – especially nothing that can be used against me. I say it comes down to the user, as long as you’re responsible with your social media interactions, you shouldn’t have to worry about data leaks.

    On that note, I work a local university and some of the hiring staff who work with student assistants will check social media accounts of potential hires. I have seen great candidates (on paper) who were not considered based on what they post. It is just something to be aware, if you make your life public, than accept the fact that anyone can find it.

    - Wesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I must confess, I have never considered opening a Facebook account. I have been ostracized by some colleagues and friends as being too cynical. Call me what you want, I do enough in my daily life to sabotage myself without someone from my past who wants to catch up, discussing some of the things we did in high school over 30 years ago. As a former manager, I know how social media is used to gage people in the hiring process and in many cases to qualify customers for potential risks. I have a Gmail account and that is about as far as my social media reach extends. I probably would not have that if I didn't need hangouts and drive on occasion for group projects at school.
      I had to disqualify someone as a customer because of photos tagged on Facebook that represented the individual "in a manner not consistent with the culture and beliefs of the organization". It is a 2-edged sword. Facebook can bring in additional revenue through social selling and allow businesses to screen customers before doing business with them. We don't think the latter applies as often as the former!

      Delete
  4. Roy, your blog should be read by all Facebook users. Well, not just Facebook users, but all social media users. Everyone should be aware of the potential harm they could face if they include all of their personal information on a social media application that anyone can gain access to.

    Sometimes I feel like Facebook can be High School all over again. You have your friends that continuously get hundreds of likes, which puts them in the "Popular" category. And then you have your friends that like to post informative videos or links that puts them in the "nerdy" category. And then you may have friends that show up on your timeline every so often and post what's happening in their life and they may get a few likes, but not hundreds, which puts them in the "average" category. And of course, you have the friends who cause drama on Facebook between themselves and others, which puts them in the "rowdy" category. Honestly, Facebook can be overwhelming after receiving that sort of exposure on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many facets to Facebook. You just have to be careful how you use it! Funny that you mention high school and popularity. I never really cared in any aspect of my life if I were popular or liked. I have tons of friends from the very well to do to people that many in society treat differently because of their lack of resources in life. I am no more impressed with the wealthiest than I am with the poorest and I see absolutely no reason to treat either better than the other; we are all people.
      I have been blessed to have a wonderful inventory of people in my life and I try to learn something from each and every interaction I have while spending time here. In the end, what really matters is how you treat those people so when you are gone, they can carry on those lessons life has to teach in a good and positive manner. So many people place emphasis on the wrong things as you stated and our society reinforces it through the media and advertising. I know this is not on the topic of Facebook, but learn to be comfortable in your own skin and love who you are so that you never have to be concerned with what anyone else thinks of you. You will see HUGE results and everyone you meet will respect you for who you are! Trust me, it is far better to just be yourself!

      Delete
  5. I think nothing prevents people from suing companies. The question is, how far such lawsuits will go when no body reads the fine print on the user agreements when they create their accounts, when everything users do is voluntarily, and they pay no money to use the platform.
    There is no question that user data posted on social media platforms is the property of the user not the company. However, when you post your data online ,even if its limited to "friends", you kinda make it public and to argue the public data is private it a tough one, let alone suing a company based on that.
    With respect to Facebook, I believe any lawsuit against Facebook will result in liability for Cambridge Analytica as they are the one who violated their agreement with Facebook. I am sure there are indemnity clauses between CA and Facebook that will take the blame off Facebook.

    ReplyDelete